Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Products that will definitely make college life easier

Being a gadget loving parent that I am, I am always on the look out for products that will make my daughter's college experience as carefree as I can, even from thousands of miles away.
That being said, I ran across an item that I truly would have given my right arm in college(im left handed..lol) to own, and that's a SMART PEN.
Smartpens are awesome, they not only can track the words you write and make a digital file for you to access later, some even have the ability to record audio and then recall the exact place in a professors lecture you need to hear again, and me play it  back from the moment that corresponds with the words you were writing at the time of that specific moment. I was so excited about this item I hurried to call my daughter and ask her if she wanted one. It surprised me when she was amazed at exactly what I told her these pens can do, being that she is born in the generation that does know what a TV stand is. At the end of the conversation we agreed that a smart pen would be an awesome Christmas gift, she remains s skeptical but is willing to try one out.
After hanging up I continued to research the LIGHTSCRIBE pen thinking it was the only one out there, but to my surprise there are numberous options. Not to mention the Chinese replicas available at a steep discount.
I figured I'd list the smartpens and describe the features it has for anyone else out there who is thinking of buying a smartpens,because they are not all created equal.

Heres the options I found :
Name
LIGHTSCRIBE
These pens have been around for longer get than I imagined, being LIGHTSCRIBE is on their     edition .Each time the company adds an additional features, but sadly the makers at LIGHTSCRIBE can't or won't do away with the need of the "special notebook" you have to buy to get all the available features to work.
A smart notebook will cost you around  $10-$15 each, I did find a deal on amazon for a 4 pack of Lightscribe notebooks for $27.99, which is basically like getting at least one free.LIGHTSCRIBE notebooks are just like normal notebooks(ie you still write in them), which is great if you require a hard copy to study with as well, but is a blow to your pocketbook if you are taking a full load..


Name
This pen is geared toward students that still like to have a hard copy of their notes just in cause. It doesn't require a special notebook which is awesome, and automatically powers on and off stroing your pen strokes to be uploaded when it comes back online, has audio recording ability as well. Its the size of a regular pen, which Im unsure if that is a good thing or not. As I know I often lost pens in school, and these kind of pens are too expensive to accidentally lose.
Another thing I didn't like when it came to some of these notebooks is some require you to take the time and take a picture of each page in your notebook to upload to whatever cloud storage you are using. I thought this requirement  made the abilities of the pen made some of the pens useless, as who has time between class and homework to take a picture of all the notes I've written that day.
Figuring out a better method for document uploads should  really be a top priority for executives at many of these companies.


I did find one awesome notebook called Rocketbook Wave Edition they look like this
 Amazon sells them for $25.99  the awesome thing about these notebooks is your actually write in them with a normal pen, and it can send your notes to multiple cloud storages for later. You can use to over and over again, as the notebook is eraseable just by MICROWAVING THE NOTEBOOK! Crazy huh?They don't have an audio recording feature for playback, and  you have to take photos of each page, but at the cost of just the 4 pack of lightscribe notebooks, its definitely a contender in the smart pen/notebook game.
So those are the options I found in the smart pen department, I'm sure I'm missing some, if I am and you know of an even more awesome smart pen available, or if you know of another product every college student should own leave a  comment and ld love to know.
PS. After Christmas I will make sure to include a review of whatever smart pen I buy my daughter. I have no doubt she will express her opinion of the pen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment